Ways to Treat Your Back Pain Without Surgery
There are various ways to treat back pain without undergoing surgery but it is of utmost importance that one consults appropriately trained spine specialists before undergoing a specific treatment protocol.
Common Non-Surgical Treatment Methods For Back Pain
- Modalities: (ice or heat): Application of ice pack or moist heat pad can reduce back pain. Alternating the two can be equally effective. It is advisable not to apply the modalities more than 20 minutes at a time.
- Back exercise/Physical Therapy: A well- coordinated program will include strengthening and stretching exercises along with low impact aerobic exercise application of modalities and home exercise.
- Manual manipulation: by an osteopath or chiropractor helps reduce back pain by improving blood flow and reducing muscular tension.
- Therapeutic Massage: is another effective way to reduce back pain, usually by improving blood flow and reducing muscle tension and stiffness.
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator): predominantly used to treat back pain caused by nerve irritation. It works by sending stimulating pulses across the surface of the skin and nerve strands in the back.
- Steroid Injections/Trigger Point Injection/Epidurals/Nerve Blocks: effective ways to treat back pain non-surgically. Very important to receive the treatment from a well-trained provider.
- Pain Medications: anti-inflammatories, (OTC + prescription strength), muscle relaxants, acetaminophen, narcotic/non-narcotic medications all can help reduce back pain.
- Lifestyle Modification: A very important and effective way to treat back pain which may include quitting smoking, weight loss, improper posture, etc.
If you’re suffering from back pain, schedule an appointment with the Orthopedic Surgeons at Westchester Sport and Spine by calling (914) 358-9700.